Thursday, August 15, 2013

SSA no longer requires surgery for gender marker change

On June 14, 2013 the Social Security Administration (SSA) announced that it has changed its policy regarding changing your gender marker. If you have transitioned your gender you can get your Social Security record changed to reflect your new gender by providing to SSA at least ONE of the following documents:

  • a valid 10 yr passport with the new gender
  • a state-issued birth certificate with the new gender
  • a court order directing legal recognition of the new gender
  • a signed statement from a license physician (M.D. or D.O.) including specifically that the individual has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition to the new gender

Surgery is no longer required to change the gender marker in your Social Security record. "Most people may not see this as a big deal, but transgender people know that this seemingly small technical change will protect their privacy and give them more control over their own lives" said Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE).

For more information see the SSA policy change here, and see an info sheet from the NCTE about how this policy change effects transgender people here



Post a Comment

<< Home