Monday, August 14, 2006

Case of the Week: 8/18/06

County: Barbour
Age: 85

Our client had moved into senior housing with her husband 25 years ago and have been in the same unit that entire time. The unit is handicapped accessible. When my client moved in, she and her husband signed a document acknowledging that the unit is for handicapped residents and agreed to move out should someone with disabilities need the unit. Since that time, both the client and her husband have developed disabilities. They received a notice from management that a resident who uses a wheelchair requested that unit. I sent management a letter explaining that my client and her husband are both disabled under their definition of disability. Working with their attorney, I was able to keep my client in her unit. Management found another suitable handicapped accessible unit for the other resident.

No comments: